"[What’s missing is] the role of BOTs in prioritising Pasifika needs -turning strategy to action to engage family."
"Non-Pacific - leaders of schools - gatekeepers, they set the tone, and values. But policy and planning is based on unconscious bias and racism - selective."
"There is good practice for children with learning needs. How do we share what is good practice?"
Are these important to you?
- All comments agree with the focus areas being important, with one comment noting that the best teacher is the best teacher, rather than it being about ethnicity.
Is there something missing? What would you change about the areas?
- The role of Boards of Trustees in prioritising Pacific needs
- Recognising students and teachers that are disconnected from their culture
- How we share good practice for children with additional learning needs
- Education to employment pathway – support in the system that identifies needs and pathways (including alternative pathways for early leavers)
- The actions need to have a specific response
- Early Childhood Centres having a Speech Therapist or other specialists so they are readily available
- Responsive curriculum and assessment
- Is there a space for children to self-identify?
- How will/do schools engage with whānau/aiga for deeper talanoa?
- What happens to localised curriculum to include financial literacy?
- What resources are there for parents? How do we support parents who are not open or connected?
Most common indicators of success (in order)
- There are no financial barriers for Pacific learners and their families in accessing education
- Pacific families feel confident supporting their children in education
- Pacific learners and their families feel accepted and included in education
- There are strong relationships between Pacific families and places of education
- Pacific learners with disabilities and their families have positive experiences in education
- Pacific learners and their families have access to technology to support their learning
Auckland Disability and Learning Support Fono Summary [PDF]