What is the Auckland Pacific Education Support Fund?
- The COVID-19 Response and Recovery Fund invests $39.7m over four years (2020/21 to 2023/24) to broker support for Pacific learners and families to access education, during the COVID-19 response and recovery.
- This funding is for community groups and organisations to provide access to support and services to make sure Pacific learners and families can take part in education.
What is the purpose of the funding?
The Support Fund is to help community providers to help learners and their families to meet education needs, including wellbeing needs, that have come out of COVID-19 or been made worse by COVID-19. Some examples include:
- joining up Pacific learners and families with services that provide support for education-related needs;
- supporting returning to learning at school or early learning, and finding the right education and training pathways; and
- growing relationships between Pacific families and places of learning by making connections and supporting families and learners to reconnect.
Why is this funding needed?
- We know COVID-19 has made things harder for some Pacific learners and families, including putting pressure on their wellbeing and ability to take part in education.
- We know that many community organisations and Pacific providers are already working to support Pacific learners and families to engage in education during the COVID-19 response and recovery, and to make sure Pacific learners and families have access to the services and supports they need.
Why is more funding going to Auckland?
The $3.5 m in funding allocated to Auckland reflects the number of Pacific learners in the Auckland region and the impact of the recent COVID-19 Alert Level 3 on communities.
How much funding has been allocated to other regions?
- $1.7m in 2020/21 has been allocated for other regions.
- Decisions on how this will be allocated will be made soon. More information will be available shortly.
Who can apply to the Support Fund?
The Support Fund is now open to Auckland-based Pacific community groups, Pacific church groups, Pacific providers, Pacific organisations and Pacific-led education services.
Can early learning services, schools and tertiary education organisations apply to the Support Fund?
Early learning services, schools and tertiary organisations are not eligible for the Support Fund but are eligible for the Pacific Education Innovation Fund, which is open till 6 November 2020.
Pacific Education Innovation Fund
What projects are eligible for funding?
Projects in the Auckland region that:
- connect Pacific learners and families with the services that will provide support for education-related needs, for example with on-site learning and accessing ongoing education and training pathways; and
- grow relationships between Pacific families and places of learning through connections and support from providers.
What sort of projects might be funded?
- Projects that connect Pacific learners and families with services providing support for education related needs, such as access to on-site learning.
- Projects that support attendance and engagement for Pacific learners.
- Projects to grow relationships between Pacific families and places of learning.
What counts as education-related needs?
Education-related needs are the needs and supports required to ensure Pacific learners can take part in meaningful education. This includes supporting wellbeing and growing meaningful relationships.
What impact will COVID Alert levels have on the opening and management of the Fund?
The funding has been designed to specifically address education-related needs during and after COVID-19. The implementation of the Support Fund will adapt to Alert levels, with face-to-face activities carried out online if that is needed, supported with online and telephone communication.
Making the process work for learners and their families is the key thing.
This information in 10 Pacific languages:
Te Taetae ni Kiribati
Lea Faka Tonga
Solomon Islands Pijin
te 'gana Tuvalu
te reo Māori Kuki 'Āirani
na vosa Vakaviti